10.12.13

Homemade Almond Milk

I've always been enthusiastic about trying dairy milk alternatives...Not because I have anything against dairy, but simply because the wide range of other milks can be as (or even more) delicious! I've sampled soya milk, hazelnut milk, goats milk (I can't stand it!), almond milk and oat milk. My favorites are definitely soya and almond milk, which is why my mom and I have started making them both at home. From scratch. So that we know every ingredient that goes into it and have pure creamy goodness!

Unfortunately, this now means that I'm a bit spoiled and can't handle store-bought, but ooh well... That's life!
Today I'll share my recipe (more like directions) on how to make some amazing almond milk. It almost tastes like a milkshake. It's so unbelievably creamy, sweet and simple that you'll wonder why you've never made it before! The flavor of the almonds shines through the the dates add that slight hint of sweetness and enhance the almond-y flavor.

Almond milk has so many great benefits including: high in vitamins and minerals, no saturated fats, no cholesterol, low in calories, contains flavonoids... and last but not least, did I mention delicious?

Ingredients
4 cups of almond milk
1 cup of raw almonds, soaked overnight
10 dates, pitted and soaked overnight
4 cups water (not the soaking water)

Instructions
Drain the almonds and dates. Peel the skin off of half of the almonds. Add the three ingredients to a blender and blend on high power (do this in batches if your blender can't handle it all at once). Keep blending until all of the almonds and dates have been pureed and mixed well into the liquid. Strain the milk using a cheesecloth. Don't throw out the delicious pulp - spread it on toast, dry it in the oven to make almond meal or mix it into your next recipe (as I did!). Be patient to ensure that you get all the goodness out... make sure to squeeze the last drop of liquid out! Pour the almond milk into a pitcher, jug, glasses or whatever you feel works best. Store in the refrigerator for 4-5 days. It will get a bit funky after this, so don't leave it for too long (although I doubt it'll last nearly that long!). The milk will naturally separate upon sitting, so don't be alarmed and do stir before every use. Double or triple the proportions to make your desired amount of almond milk.

In my opinion, this must must must be served chilled.. Enjoy in the morning, afternoon, blended into smoothies, anytime really. It's healthy and yummy - what more could you possibly want? 

No comments:

Post a Comment