17.3.15

Crunchy Oatmeal Raisin Cookies

Back at it. That's the caption I shared when I snapchatted a picture of these cookies. And it's true. When I'm at uni, I generally take a break from blogging. I do bake once in a while, but rarely to I have a chance to take nice pictures - be it time constraints or the fact that I baked a cake for a friends birthday one night, and I can't just hold it till the next morning to snap a good photo (lighting's the issue here!).
When I'm home for vacation, then, is the only real chance I get to post. Thankfully, that's a lot of the time! It may seem ludicrous, but I've done the calculations, and I actually spend more time at home than I do at university...

Anyways, I was spending a (much-deserved) lazy Saturday afternoon at home, and the baking pangs hit. We already had some of this date cake lying around, so I didn't want to necessarily bake something that 1) was too similar and 2) wouldn't last too long. Cookies it was! The great thing about cookies is that they have a super long shelf-life (by super long I mean a week or few, not months or years - these are freshly baked, after all!).

We've been keeping our stash of chocolate chip cookies replenished for the past few months, and it felt like time for a change. Oatmeal raisin was the answer! Oatmeal raisin cookies are often overlooked, because they seem so old-fashioned or boring, but that definitely should not be the case. They are delicious, hearty and full of flavor - especially these ones because they're filled with oats, cinnamon and whole wheat flour!
These cookies are crispy/crunchy, because I felt they'd be great that way. Feel free, however, to bake them for a shorter time and see if they turn out soft and chewy. If you try them this way, be sure to leave a comment! This would also be great with the addition of chopped walnuts, and I'd definitely try them this way if you like nuts! If you've been following my other posts, you'll know that we generally keep things walnut-free, as my sister is allergic to them.

These cookies are super simple, require the most basic ingredients, and take probably 30 minutes end-to-end. If you're in the mood for an afternoon pick-me-up that requires minimal effort, clean-up and lots of deliciousness, this is the treat for you!

Ingredients
Makes 15-20 reasonably sized cookies
2/3 cup unrefined sugar
2 tbsp soft brown sugar
3 tbsp coconut oil, at room temperature but not melted
3 tbsp coconut oil, melted
1 egg
pinch of salt
1 tsp vanilla
3/4 cup whole wheat flour
1/2 tsp baking soda
1 tsp cinnamon
1/2 cup raisins
1 1/2 cup whole rolled oats

Instructions
Preheat the oven to 175 C. Line a cookie baking sheet with parchment paper and set aside. 

In a large bowl, beat together the sugars, coconut oils, egg, vanilla and salt.

Next, add the flour, cinnamon and baking soda and stir until well combined.

Mix in the raisins and oats. The dough should be relatively moist and sticky. If the raisins and oats are not holding together with the dough, add in a little more coconut oil, only a few drops at a time, until a the dough resembles cookie dough consistency.

Using your hands, loosely roll the dough into balls, flatten them slightly and place on the prepared baking sheet.

Bake for around 15 minutes, or until cookies are a gorgeous golden brown (probably slightly darker as the dough itself is slightly dark due to the brown sugar and cinnamon).

Cool on the sheet for 5 minutes, then transfer to a wire rack to cool completely.

Enjoy with milk, tea, coffee, or on their own!

No comments:

Post a Comment